Monday, December 20, 2010

Hero A Day - Captain Vesuvius



I keep hearing good things about shield tankers so I wanted to try a few out. I decided to place them all on one account (different servers).  One combination in particular that I heard quite a bit about was the Shield Defense /Fire Melee tank, so I give you...

Captain Vesuvius

All of my shield tankers are Captain Something because it's just something I do. there's only one notable shield guy in comics and he's one of my favorites so call it an homage to him. His short background is that he was exploring a volcano near Italy when a tremor revealed the entrance to a cave. Entering, he discovered a shrine to an ancient god of earth and fire. Taking up the helmet he found within gave him amazing powers and a mandate to do good in the world.

Shield Defense is a defense-based set meaning "try not to get hit" and it also has a medium to strong offensive component in some of the higher level powers like Shield Charge. Positional defenses are fairly easy to build up through IO sets and that's what I intend to do.

Fire Melee is a strong offensive set for single target but is really known for it's AOE attacks. Combining these with Shield Charge is supposed to be very nasty and I intend to find out.

Travel power is Superspeed for now as I am experimenting with Hasten - he is a more offensive tank after all.  Other pool powers will likely be Fighting and possibly Leadership, and I may throw Combat Jumping from the leaping pool in there as well after experimenting more with him.

Costume-wise I knew there was a flaming rocky shield available and I started with that. The majority of his costume is the new Alpha set along with the chest jewel and the Valkyrie cape. The helmet is the Warrior Fire helmet with the Valkyrie crest for a vaguely Roman-ish look. I went with a Red and Yellow color scheme to emphasize brightness and flame and fine tunes the fire melee coloring to match the shield as closely as possible. To top it off I gave him the Omega body and eyes combat aura, colored to match the fire powers and the shield too. I'm pretty happy with the look and have no major changes planned for now.

Captain Vesuvius lives on Triumph server for easier teaming with the family.  
.

No comments:

Post a Comment