Friday, December 17, 2010

Hero A Day - The Awesome Charcoal Man



Continuing the theme of stony tankers I decided a few days ago (after some forum browsing) that I needed to try a Dark/Stone tanker. I have played Dark Armor on a scrapper but not on a Tanker so I thought it would be interesting to see the differences. Having already made stone-based and coal-based stony looking tankers I decided that I needed a new look other than the basic stone costume. Playing around with the new Omega costume set, aura, and looking at how to customize the Dark Armor look I realized that a suitable tank could be made with the right color choices and so was born...

The Awesome Charcoal Man

The brief and not-too-serious concept is that a horrible grilling accident involving experimental charcoal and way too much lighter fluid transformed an ordinary backyard barbecuer into something more than a man, and he decided to use his new powers to fight for what's right - and to speak out about grill safety.

Dark Armor is his primary and gives good resistance to most attack forms including psionics, which is rare among defense sets. It does have a reputation as an endurance hog but inherent Stamina will mitigate that somewhat. It also has a nice smoky look on many powers which fits the theme.

Stone Melee hits hard and hits early, inflicting significant damage and doing knockdown as a secondary effect which helps slow down the incoming damage - they can't hit you when they're picking themselves up off of the ground.

His movement power is Super Leap - I considered Fly but there just isn't much besides Fly itself that interests me for a tank. With Stone Melee it's not like he needs another attack in Air Superiority, and I never use Hover on Tanks, so there isn't much point to taking it when Super Leap has 3 useful powers instead.

For his look I went Omega for his whole body, leaving off the hair and the jaw, shaded as a black and a dark gray. I added the Omega aura in a dim flickering orange over his whole body including the eyes. hen paired up with the dark gray/light gray Dark Armor defensive toggle powers, he looks like a smoldering piece of charcoal, which is the look I was going for. His Stone Melee powers are done with the Lava look using a dark gray base with dark orange glowing cracks, emphasizing the burning charcoal look. When he hits 30 one alternate costume may involve the fireflies aura in a bright orange but I will figure that out when I get there.

Overall I'm very happy with this character - from the initial "hey these two powers work well - try them out" concept to coming up with an unusual but appropriate look - that's what really makes me happy when all the parts of a character concept come together into something decent, and perhaps a little humorous as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment