Monday, September 28, 2009

Super-Systems - personal notes

When it comes to pen and paper Super RPG's I have played most of them:

- I began playing Champions in 1983 with the 2nd edition boxed set. I played the most during the 4th edition and I hope to start a new long-term campaign next year.

- I picked up Mutants and Masterminds during its 1st edition run and have recently picked up 2nd edition. I like it but have yet to run a long campaign with it.

- Marvel Super Heroes is a fine system and still works well. I find it especially handy for introducing new players as the system is fairly simple to learn and it comes with nice cards for a lot of well known heroes with pictures and stats.

- Necessary Evil is a great setting book and campaign for Savage Worlds. It's a lighter game mechanics-wise than most of the others, but it plays well and has a great premise.

- Villains and Vigilantes was fun years ago and I occasionally go back and mine some of the adventures for maps and ideas but the other systems are what I prefer to play.

- Heroes Unlimited is a workable system but it is not my favorite. I have used it mainly as a source of extra characters for the occasional Rifts game.

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was awesome when it came out and is still fun to play, especially with the younger set if Marvel isn't their thing. A lot of flavor and the system works fine for the scale of this particular game universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment