Sunday, September 27, 2009

My Origin, Part 5

I awoke when I hit the ground. At some point the power had gone beyond my ability to manage and when I passed out it shut down, thank goodness. I stood up from a smoking crater, still quite disoriented and staggered home. When I looked in the mirror I realized the suit had not vaporized as I had assumed - I was still wearing it, only it had changed dramatically.

No longer was I wearing a crude armor prototype. No, the metal had liquefied and run along the contours of my body, held to me by some strange side effect of my runaway power. In the hellish energies of my awakening, the metal had bonded to me, becoming part of my living tissue. I could move normally and I felt no heavier than I had before. In truth I thought I was unclothed I felt so free yet in the mirror I looked like a shining metal statue.

Still adjusting to this new development I gingerly tested my powers and found them still working. Realizing my life had changed forever I quickly decided that I had to use these abilities as a force for good in the world. I fashioned a new helmet and found a way to bond it to myself and release it at will. I don't know that I need a secret identity but I decided to wait before revealing my true self. Plus it would maintain the illusion that I was a battle suited hero, hopefully giving me an advantage over potential enemies.

As I began  my new career I soon discovered I no longer needed to sleep. Perhaps it was due to my altered body, perhaps it was a constant subconscious drawing of energy from the world around me, but I found myself with much more time in a day than I had known previously, which has given me time to think and pursue many other interests, some of which I will share in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment