Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Catching Up - My 2013 MMO Look-Back




After the shutdown of City of Heroes I did very little online for the rest of the year. No game really felt great and I was not terribly interested in learning a new game. So 2012 ended with nothing really new.


In 2013 though I dove back in. First I stepped back into Champions Online, a game I had played at launch, though it just never really grabbed me enough to stick with it. I discovered that was still true a few years later.  I appreciate what it does, but what it does just isn't enough of the right thing for me.





After that I jumped back into Star Trek Online and something clicked. I was a lot more interested in the universe, and the game was ... fun. It quickly became my main computer game and by the end of the year I had multiple max-level characters. I decided to look around at what else was out there too.





That summer I dove into Neverwinter Online when it launched and I had a lot of fun with it. I only have the one main character as it's not enough to really reel me in full time but it is fun when I'm tired of phasers and starships and just want to whack something with a greatsword.





I also tried out Star Wars: The Old Republic for the first time and had a pretty good time with it too. I did not stick with it as I was not willing to pay the subscription fee and the free to play restrictions seemed very limiting. It did make a positive impression overall though.


So as far as new online games went. 2013 ended with STO as my main game and occasional side visits to Neverwinter.

No comments:

Post a Comment